What to Ask Your Doctor
Some questions to consider asking before undergoing laparoscopic surgery for Endometriosis are:
• How many Laparoscopies to diagnose and treat Endometriosis has the surgeon performed?
• How long have they been performing them?
• Is it the intention of the surgeon to destroy Endometriosis at the time of the laparoscopy? If so, what method will be utilized (excision, ablation, etc.)?
• How successful do they believe that method to be and why?
• If the laparoscopy will be strictly diagnostic and no therapeutic measures will be taken, what is the reason for that?
• Are biopsies going to be performed and sent to pathology?
• Will the surgeon be assisted by other surgical professionals such as a bowel specialist to treat Endometriosis in that area?
• Will a bowel resection be necessary?
• Will the surgeon search for and recognize Endometriosis in all manifestations, in all regions?
• Will the patient be provided with copies of her surgical reports and any pictures or videotapes?
• What does the surgeon expect to accomplish with the laparoscopy in terms of outcome, i.e., restoration of fertility and pain relief?
• What are the general recurrence rates in patients the surgeon has treated?
• Will adhesion barriers be used? If so, what kind? If not, why not?